FOREARM BACKSLAB (VOLAR WRIST HALF CAST)
- Use this immobilisation for any wrist fractures including suspected wrist fractures.
- Apply it to the volar or palmar side of the hand. It can be applied on the volar and dorsal side if there are very unstable fracture patterns.
- The wrist can be in neutral alignment or slight extension, but never in flexion.
- Use 75mm gypsona for ladies and 100mm gypsona for men.
- Ensure that the thenar eminence muscles and the first webspace is clear to facilitate thumb movement.
- Ensure that the knuckles are clear dorsally and that the fingers can fully flex without being restricted by the cast.